Sunday, October 20, 2013

An Invitation to Pray

Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ,

I have a personal  need I would like to enlist your prayer about. I was riding my bicycle yesterday here on the island with Champ attached to his jogger. I decided to take him down one of the unpaved roads that criss-cross the inner parts of the island. It appeared to be dirt and grass, so I was going too fast and unprepared when I hit some deep sand. With the front wheel not tracking straight, and Champ's added energy pulling the bike from the side, I ended up taking a hard fall off the bike.

As I lay on the ground I took assessment of my injuries. I first noted that my left index finger was dislocated at the middle knuckle. I applied some pressure and put it back where it needed to be. It is swollen, but it is not painful unless I try to use it forcefully. It should be well mended in a week or two. I evidently slightly sprained the middle finger on my right hand as well as it is swollen, but nothing is broken there. It too will heal in short order.

The main difficulty I am having is that I landed on my right side with most of the force on my rib cage. I either cracked a rib or two, and/or pulled some muscles on that side, as it is quite painful to move about. I have had cracked ribs in the past, as well as strained muscles, so I recognize the feeling that they produce

Fortunately I do not need to do much moving about at this time, other than walking Champ so that he can take care of his business. I am leaving him leashed outside as I cannot lift him into his dog crate in the bus right now. It is quite painful getting up and down, and I have found that I cannot lie down in any position and get comfortable. Last night I slept in a reclining lounge chair that I have set-up under a canopy next to the bus. This allowed me to keep an eye on Champ as well and to tell him to hush if he got barking during the night (he only barked once). I anticipate sleeping in the lounge chair until I am able to lie down comfortably and put Champ inside. The temperatures at night right now are pretty mild.

I know some people who read this account will be alarmed, and the normal response is to say, "Did you go to the doctor?" However, having experienced broken bones more than a dozen times in my life, as well as dislocated shoulders, torn muscles, and other ailments, I am not as traumatized by these experiences as others may be who have not experienced the same. I know my body pretty well, and I do not perceive that I have any injury that will not heal on its own.

There is very little doctors can do for cracked ribs, or strained muscles. They will at times wrap the chest with something similar to an ace bandage to keep a little pressure on it, and may prescribe muscle relaxers for the muscles to keep them from spasms. Beyond this they will advise a patient to get plenty of rest, and to not overly exert themselves until they are healed up. I have ace bandages on hand from past injuries and have wrapped my chest with them. I also had some muscle relaxers left from when I was injured on a motorcycle about two years ago and I have been taking them. (I only took a couple when I was injured on the motorcycle as I did not need them very much and they made me very drowsy.) I am taking half a pill at a time now, and they are keeping my muscles from going into spasms.

My biggest problem is when I need to walk Champ, but Yahweh has given me grace to do so thus far. I don't walk him very far at all, venturing only about 50 yards from my campsite. That is about as much as I can tolerate at this time. This type of injury makes one catch their breath as any slight movement that pulls the muscles in the wrong direction can produce sharp pains.

I would ask you to pray for a speedy recovery, and for Champ to remain calm until I can once more exercise him thoroughly. Dogs have a lot of pent up energy and it sometimes manifests in misbehavior such as excessive barking if they are not exercised.

It is somewhat difficult to even sit and type at the moment, so please bear with me if I do not respond back at once to any e-mail that you send. Living alone has its drawbacks at times, but this is the experience Yahweh has chosen for me and I am daily grateful for His grace. There is grace even in injury, and there is certainly a message/parable in what occurred, but the telling of it will have to wait until later when I can sit at the computer and type a bit longer.

Thank you in advance for your prayers.


Heart4God Website: http://www.heart4god.ws    

Parables Blog: www.parablesblog.blogspot.com    

Mailing Address:
Joseph Herrin
P.O. Box 804
Montezuma, GA 31063

12 comments:

"End Times Watcher" said...

Joseph:

Right after I post this comment here on your Parables blog, I will pray for you.


Steve

Will said...

I have done as you asked and will continue to do so. May you be blessed with insight for every circumstance God allows into your life. Will

crimson covered said...

Heavenly Father,

Please quickly heal Pastor Herrin and bless him during this time of rest, that your will would be perfectly accomplished.

Keep in constant peace Precious Champ who brings so much joy and companionship to Pastor Herrin. Amen.

We love you and appreciate your ministry.

Unknown said...

Brother Joseph,
I feel in March and although I did not break any bones or suffer a shoulder separation as the doctor thought, I was in considerable pain. The shoulder still has a large lump on it and pains me slightly from time to time, but I praise our Father of mercy and grace that there was not significant injury. The doctor told me that the xrays showed a mass in my right lung about the size of a golf ball. Long story short, they did a CT scan and there was nothing there! Multiple xrays showed something, but 30 or 45 minutes later, the CT scan was clear. I firmly believe Father spontaneously healed me. I do not know why. I do know that my faith never wavered, not in the slightest, and I praise Him for building up my faith over many years. I pray the perfect light of His love will flood every cell of your body and that He will grant you supernatural healing. May you be blessed in all ways in these perilous days.
Kevin in Georgia

Gwen said...

I've just sent up a prayer, dear Joseph, and will continue to keep you in my prayers.

JAD said...

Praying for a speedy recovery for you.

Brian Klumpenhouwer said...

Joseph, Kamala and I have agreed in prayer for your quick recovery and for Champ to be content and at peace in this time. God bless.
From Canada,
Brian

Deborah said...

Yes I have and will continue to pray for you brother Joseph. I have also ask Yahweh to show me if there is anything else you need so that I might pray that as well.

Deborah

Deborah said...

Shalom Joseph,

I have and will continue to pray for you as well and for quiet and calm for your dog champ.

The Lord has also prompted me to seek him for more things to pray for you during this time, which I will continue to do as well.

May the Lord bless you and keep you brother Joseph.

Deborah

Jaime Lester said...

Prayers go out to you Brother Joseph that God will continue to do good things for you in your life. You have blessed many with your ministry so my prayer is the same that God may grant you peace, comfort, and encouragement through this time. May He bless you as you have blessed many!

JM said...

I will pray for you.

Greg said...

I pray that Yahweh Rapha will bring quick and total restoration to you brother. I also pray that he'll protect you from such accidents in the future. In Jesus name.