Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Lights, Camera, A Call to Action

Joseph Herrin (02-13-2013)

Some have written to mention that they have missed seeing any new blog posts in the past week. It has been a very busy time for me both in the realm of ministry and in the common events of life. The past four days have poured forth torrents of rain here in South Georgia. I have not seen any official numbers for my specific location. It was estimated that we would receive as much as 5 inches of rain, but I am confident that we exceeded the forecast by a significant measure.

Following are a couple short video clips taken outside of my bus this morning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUaO7aTgYDo



Note: I stated in the video that I located here in May. It was actually late October. At that time you could walk across the bottom of the pond shown for there was not a drop of water in it. Now it is full, and over 8 feet deep in places. You can hear the birds clearly in the video. They are rejoicing at the rain, and I too am thankful for Yahweh’s showers which bring new life to the earth.

I drove to town Sunday to wash clothes. I had to make another run yesterday (Tuesday) as I used most of my towels to dry Champ so I could bring him inside the past couple days. There was no chance of hanging them out to dry as it was raining steadily and humidity was 100%. I also had to wash and dry his bedding for his dog crate. I had some other errands to attend to, including dropping off newsletters for inmates at the post office as I don’t believe the mailman is driving down the roads here while it is so messy.

I managed to get about 1/4 mile and got my daughter’s car stuck. She is in South Carolina as part of a music team ministering in a men’s prison there. Kristin left her car with me for the week. It is a Honda Civic with a low center clearance. The roads were deeply rutted and the car bellied out. A neighbor kindly pulled the car free with his tractor. I chose another route that still included dirt roads, but they were not so deeply rutted. A four wheel drive vehicle is certainly preferable for this location. After the heavy deluge last night I imagine the roads will be nigh unto impassable for about a week with anything less.

When I don’t post for some days it causes concern to some readers. Many have written to  ask if I was aware of the news relating to the Pope’s resignation, the St. Malachy prophecy, and the lightning that struck the dome of St. Peter’s Basilica. I appreciate all those who write to apprise me of new events. I am not led to write on all matters, and at times I need to wait to receive clarity from the Father on a subject. I don’t know whether I will write anything on the Pope’s resignation. At this time I don’t have anything to share.

What has primarily prevented me from posting new writings of late is that I have sensed the Father leading me to a new area of ministry. I will continue to post blogs, answer correspondence, print newsletters for prisoners, and write books, yet the thought has persisted that I am to begin producing some videos. Although I had created a few ministry related videos several years back, I was not satisfied with the quality of them.

As I have reflected on the Father’s leading in this area, I have been mindful of the manner in which He has over the years directed me to incorporate additional forms of media to deliver the truths entrusted to me. In 1999 the Father instructed me to begin writing books. At that time I was also directed to create the Heart4God website. In 2004 the Father led me to associate myself with the Macon Rescue Mission. While there I had opportunity to speak to the men in the Mission’s alcohol and drug recovery program during weekly chapel services. After a time I began incorporating slide shows using my laptop computer and a projection system the Father provided.

This was an interesting development, for about ten years earlier while I was still employed in the computer field at a county hospital complex, I had installed projectors in the board rooms of two hospitals. I remember telling the Father at that time that if He ever sent me across the nation to preach that I would like to have a projector like that to add graphic content to my talks. While I was at the Mission, the hospital replaced their aging projectors with new devices, donating the old ones to the Rescue Mission. I was able to purchase one of them at a very good price. The Mission’s thrift store also had a portable projection screen for sale, and I was able to acquire it at the same time.

From that time forward I began incorporating images, and slides of Scriptures with my messages. This greatly enhanced the presentations I was giving. I have continued to incorporate graphics in my Internet teachings. I also began recording the audio of my messages while at the Mission, and later while traveling across the country. I have made them available online as well.

http://www.heart4god.ws/audio.htm

In 2010 the Father led me to produce newsletters for men in prison. I took the 14 books I had written, and many shorter writings, and put them into a newsletter format. There are nearly 100 different newsletters in the series. The Father has greatly used these to instruct, edify, and encourage His sons in prison. I began by sending them to a few men in one prison. Over time these few shared the newsletters with others, and some men have transferred to other facilities within the state of Georgia. Now I am sending newsletters to men in fifteen different prisons, as well as to a number of their family members.



















Parables Bookshelf Newsletter

It is noteworthy to remark about how the Father prepares His sons and daughters for specific ministries. Even as Joseph was prepared to understand Egyptian society and the inner circles of Egyptian government by serving in the household of the captain of Pharaoh’s bodyguard, and later in the prison where government officials were held, so too does the Father order the steps of His people to prepare them for their calling.

For years prior to being called into ministry the Father led me to work in the realm of computers. In 2001-2002 I even taught computer management and concepts at a local technical college. Since entering into ministry, the Spirit of Christ has continually led me to embrace forms of communication that involved the computer, and demanded a certain level of computer skills. Due to my past employment I was not daunted by the technology, and felt comfortable employing it. Our Father guides our steps with wisdom and precision.

Recently I have sensed the Spirit leading me to begin employing video productions to communicate the messages He has imparted to me. To produce quality video requires a higher degree of computer knowledge and skill than has been required to date in the various media forms I have embraced. Video editing software is more complex and robust than standalone wordprocessing programs, audio editing software, newsletter publishing, or presentation programs.

I had purchased an older copy of Pinnacle Studio several years ago, and I recently updated to the most recent version of their software. I also purchased a DVD tutorial program and spent several days going through the training. I will be utilizing green screen technology (also called Chroma Key) to be able to display various background images and slide shows to accompany the recorded messages.


















My Studio Set-up

I spent many hours over the course of about a week, researching video production. I discovered ways to produce quality videos relatively inexpensively. Instead of purchasing studio lighting that costs hundreds of dollars per fixture, I bought work lights from Home Depot that cost about $15 each. The green screen itself was not expensive as it is basically a muslin sheet (not Muslim). The biggest expense was in the camera and its accessories, but Yahweh has bountifully provided as various members of the body of Christ have been led to send financial gifts.



















Canon Vixia Camcorder with Shotgun Microphone

I have done some testing, and I am VERY pleased with both the audio and video quality that I am getting from this set-up. Following is a small sample of what I will be able to do.

http://youtu.be/bQppQMk8NJ8



It will take me time to develop some efficiency in video production. Beginnings are always the slowest times. I need to develop a standard video introduction with a music score, as well as a closing and other standard elements. Once these are created, and I have had sufficient time using the software, production speed should pick up dramatically.

I have always believed that a man or woman, when called to a ministry, should do their work heartily as unto the Lord. Over the years I have counseled others who believed they had a calling to minister. Some have submitted writings to me, asking me to review them. Like an English teacher, I have bled red ink all over their writings. Some have mistakenly thought that the message is all that matters, and have given scant attention to delivery.

Sadly, many Christians did not apply themselves with diligence to their studies at school. Many do not know how to write an essay. Sentence construction is woefully deficient. Grammar and diction are inferior. If they were submitting a manuscript for publication in a national magazine, or newspaper, their editor would reject it out of hand. I have seen some atrocious writing offered up as ministry unto God. Should not those who are called of Yahweh to be His servants exercise a spirit of excellence that exceeds the labors of those who have earthly masters? I am concerned that the evidence of shoddy workmanship among Christians is a reflection of their attitude toward God, signaling a lack of regard for the honor of being called to be a minister. Solomon stated:

Proverbs 22:29
Do you see a man skilled in his work? He will stand before kings; He will not stand before obscure men.

Quite often, those who have not paid attention to developing the skills commensurate with their spiritual calling, not only are deficient in the area of delivery, but also in their apprehension and skillful use of the word of God. David stated:

II Samuel 24:24
“I will not offer burnt offerings to Yahweh my God which cost me nothing.”

It will cost a man or woman much in time and in the exercise of their spiritual, physical, and mental abilities to acquit themselves as skillful laborers in the kingdom of God. Should not the Christian musician apply themselves to be the very best musician possible? Should not the Christian man led to labor in building houses strive to produce a superior product? Why then should a minister be satisfied to produce that which the world itself would scorn?

The Christian author should seek to write as skillfully as possible and, if lacking the requisite skills, should pursue them with diligence. What is revealed when a man or woman throws something together carelessly and offers it up to the Lord? The prophet Malachi stated that Yahweh despises such an attitude.

Malachi 1:13-14
“You also say, 'My, how tiresome it is!' And you disdainfully sniff at [the offering of the Lord]," says Yahweh of hosts, "and you bring what was taken by robbery, and what is lame or sick; so you bring the offering! Should I receive that from your hand?" says Yahweh. "But cursed be the swindler who has a male in his flock, and vows it, but sacrifices a blemished animal to the Lord, for I am a great King," says Yahweh of hosts, "and My name is feared among the nations."

People of God, a person can certainly go overboard in any area, and it is always necessary to be led of the Spirit in all we do. Yet, I am persuaded that whatever endeavor we undertake at the leading of the Spirit, we should approach it with a spirit of excellence and integrity.

I Peter 4:10-11
God has given each of you a gift from his great variety of spiritual gifts. Use them well to serve one another. Do you have the gift of speaking? Then speak as though God himself were speaking through you. Do you have the gift of helping others? Do it with all the strength and energy that God supplies. Then everything you do will bring glory to God through Jesus Christ.
(NLT)

Let us all have the attitude of David who refused to offer unto Yahweh that which cost him nothing. Let us apply ourselves with diligence to whatever work the Father sets before us. Let all men observe by our attitude of excellence that we are sons of the Most High. David, while denied the opportunity to build the Temple in Jerusalem, nonetheless devoted himself with great zeal to the task of preparation. His example should be a model to the people of God today.

I Chronicles 29:2-5
Now with all my ability I have provided for the house of my God the gold for the things of gold, and the silver for the things of silver, and the bronze for the things of bronze, the iron for the things of iron, and wood for the things of wood, onyx stones and inlaid stones, stones of antimony, and stones of various colors, and all kinds of precious stones, and alabaster in abundance. And moreover, in my delight in the house of my God, the treasure I have of gold and silver, I give to the house of my God, over and above all that I have already provided for the holy temple, namely, 3,000 talents of gold, of the gold of Ophir, and 7,000 talents of refined silver, to overlay the walls of the buildings; of gold for the things of gold, and of silver for the things of silver, that is, for all the work done by the craftsmen. Who then is willing to consecrate himself this day to Yahweh?"

Are you manifesting a spirit of excellence in your work before God? If not, then heed the call to action. Stir up the gift that is in you. Do your work with all your ability. Do not offer to the Lord service that is half-hearted.


Heart4God Website: http://www.heart4god.ws    

Parables Blog: www.parablesblog.blogspot.com    

Mailing Address:
Joseph Herrin
P.O. Box 804
Montezuma, GA 31063

8 comments:

Michelle said...

Amen Brother Joseph! May you abound in the love and joy of our heavenly Father.

Unknown said...

Thank you Joseph. While I strive to write as good as you, you have a very unique ability to express yourself well. God used the Apostle Paul and Apostle Peter. God used one who was highly educated and another with very little education. Charles H. Spurgeon and D.L. Moody are another example. One was the Prince of Preachers and another who innocently slaughtered English. Both gave it their best for the Glory of God.
Love you brother. Keep up the good work!
David

Joseph Herrin said...

Hello David,

You have made an excellent point. We all have various talents and abilities. The point I was seeking to stress in the post was that we should all seek to do our very best with the abilities the Father has given to us.

There are many Christians who were lackadaisical in their studies as our society in general encourages sensual living and an absence of self-discipline. The "tiger moms" out there are the rare exception as they encourage their children to a spirit of excellence in all they do.

I would not want any Christian to excuse a spirit of laziness by claiming that they do not have the same aptitude as another. It is true that people do have differing backgrounds and abilities, but let each one strive for a spirit of excellence as they employ those gifts that have been given to them.

Those who are faithful with a little will be given more.

sophiajm said...

Hello.

I read your wonderful post and was glad encouraged and had confirmation for my current endeavour. I have two wonderful gifts from the the Father,one being a great Montessori teacher that I have been for over 27 years as well as being an artist. This past year I felt the Lord asking me to stretch myself and branch out into teaching art as a volunteer at my daughters Christian school. Although at first this was a little nerve wracking for me I took a leap of faith. Well, I have truly been blessed. As I research the projects and present them to the K-5th grade classes and see their joy in experiencing and creating these works, it is truly wonderful. God has supplied me with a plethora of ideas. I at first thought" oh no what will I do each week?" Then the peace of the HS came upon me and I realized it is not me coming up with the ideas, that it is truly the Lord who shows me just what to teach. I just need to be diligent with prayer, keep my mind and eyes open when doing my research and always remember that God is the ultimate Artist of all! He will lead me to what is fun and creative.
Seeing your post reassured me that yes, God does want us to use ALL the gifts he gives us and to step out in faith knowing he is with us as we walk along that path to learn how to use them to the best of our ability.

John Mark said...

I am look forward to your video ministry. But one thing the father has lead me to ask you, did the father lead you to copyright this with your name?
Are we not to do everything in the name of the father?
Just something our father led me to bring to your attention as a brother in Christ.

Joseph Herrin said...

Hello John Mark,

I have used a copyright statement since I first began publishing books in 1999. You will note that the copyright GIVES permission to freely copy and distribute whatever material it is associated with. The only restriction I include is that people who do so do not charge anything for the material distributed. (Even this restriction is not listed on the video you are commenting about.)

I have not sensed any conviction from the Father that a copyright statement should not be included. I am not using it to limit distribution or to accrue profit.
It is all free brother!

mark.st said...

Hi Josepth, Will you be writing about the recent meteor strike over russia last week. Do you think there is a divine message in it?

Thanks

Joseph Herrin said...

Hello Mark,

I have been occupied of late with getting the preliminary work done to begin producing videos. Although I have read several accounts of the meteor strike, and other events such as the Pope's resignation and St. Peter's Basilica being struck by lightning, I have not had time to consider them at length, or to write anything. Should the Father give me some revelation into these events I will post something, but at the moment I do not have anything to share.

Thanks for asking.